is an event within Track & Field, just like the 100m or Long Jump. It is contested at all levels of the sport from Youth meets up to and including the World Championships & Olympic Games. There are also many competitions for Masters (over 40) athletes and opportunities non-competitive walkers looking to improve their fitness.
Race Walking, the extreme event in track & field, is a “technical endurance event”, meaning that a specific set of rules must be followed. Simply put, you must maintain visible contact w/ the ground at all times & straighten your knee when your foot makes contact with the ground and keep it straightened until it passes under your body.
Race Walk events range in distance from 1500m to 50 km. Races are contested on the track and on road courses.
Why Race Walk?
Race Walking offers athletes the following opportunities that are unavailable to most runners.
with Race Walking you can…
- Earn a spot on the US National Team
- Compete in a US National Championship
- Win a US National Championship
- travel to other countries for FREE
- Compete in a World Championship
- Earn a College Scholarship
- Compete in the Penn Relays
- Avoid injuries associated with running
- Make friends with athletes from around the world
The Raleigh Walkers was developed to create opportunities for athletes of all ages & abilities who have an interest in walking for fitness and competition in North Carolina.
- To build a high quality training group of race walkers across the state of North Carolina.
- To train athletes of all ages to achieve top level performances at all levels of competition.
- To develop young walkers into the next great performers in the US.
- To become the dominant race walking club in the US.
- To build a family atmosphere & create memorable experiences.
Race Walking is the ultimate “life sport”. It provides an excellent opportunity for high levels of fitness and avoids many of the injuries that runners encounter. The race walking community is one large family, all over the world, where you will make friends for life. Consider starting today!